"Hope" is the thing with feathers. . .

March 27, 2010




They shut me up in Prose –
As when a little Girl
They put me in the Closet –
Because they liked me "still" –

Still! Could themself have peeped –
And seen my Brain – go round –
They might as wise have lodged a Bird
For Treason – in the Pound –
Emily Dickinson, c. 1862[18]





Emily Dickinson (1830-1886) is shown here in a drawing of her at age 9. A gentle person, whose genius with words was overshadowed for years by her progressive retreat from society. Her words were altered by the literary 'establishment'; unable to understand that genius. It seems that Emily's circumstances had a negative influence on her ability to soar in the outside world. Birds were her symbol of that part of her spirit that soared freely, nonetheless.








I am always moved by her life and her writing, and thought I would share.
May you be free to find your own heart's expression. . .
and I don't just mean via fashion.
Be well,



Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment